Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Recycled Milk Can


Yes, I am a copy cat! How can you not be with so many wonderful projects out there in blogland? Doesn't everyone copy someone else at some time in their life? ;)

Laurel, at The North End Loft, blogged about painting a milk can to give it a rusted patina. Well, I just had to do it...I mean who would want to keep it looking like this?

Turns out it was manufactured at Houston Harvest Dairy to be a knock-off, not a real one, and it's smaller. (edit - I found out these were used as popcorn tins?) Still had the UPC code sticker on it. But, who cares? I finally have a milk can!

I won't go into the whole tutorial since you can click on Laurel's link above to see it done. But I'll show you some pictures along the way.
 Primed...looks better already!!


Next layer...satin silver

While I was at it, I figured I might as well do this watering can too. I don't like the blue, it needs to be old & rusty. :) 

Working at night on the picnic table...

The next day I finished them both.



I'm not thrilled with how the watering can turned out. I couldn't find copper acrylic for the 'rust' recipe so I had to make my own, and then mixed it with the 'wrong' colour for the milk can. But I like that better than the watering can, which I did according to the directions! lol I have since found copper, so can't wait to try it on another project. 

But I do like the way the milk can looks. It's not as good as Laurel's, but hey, it's my first time!



Pepsy sauntering by...sorry, had to get one of the pets in here!

Final resting place, with an old cement planter. 

Thanks for stopping by, and if you like this I hope you check out Laurel's tutorial and try it yourself! Here's how hers turned out! Amazing, so much better than mine. I really have to practice at this one! 



I'm linking up at:

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia        

               

         









28 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job on your first time at it...hop on over and share it at my Nifty Thrifty Tuesday party, and I have a great giveaway for ya to enter.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I did make it over to your place. Thanks for the invite!
      Debbie :)

      Delete
  2. Those turned out fabulous!! I love your milk an. Than for partying at my place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela! And thank you for hosting!
      Debbie :)

      Delete
  3. Looks great. Love the transformations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great transformation! I agree we all inspire each other!Thank you for visiting whitelacecottage.
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I think those turned out great!! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog-I'm following you back :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great. I'm now following too and will add your blog to my Canadian blogs list in my sidebar. I always get excited finding Canadian bloggers, especially those close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! Welcome to my blog and thanks for adding me!
      Debbie :)

      Delete
  7. Lucky you to find a watering can and a milk can! We had two from my Dad's farm and put clay in them to make them heavy so they wouldn't get carried off in front of our garage. After about 8 years someone stole them! I feel bad since they were from our farm. My husband hopes they got a hernia! lol Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrible Nancy! And I agree with your husband. Some people...

      Delete
  8. Great job! The milk can looks so much better. Pepsy is adorable! Seems one of my cats always try to get in a photo shoot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I think it makes the pictures more personal when the pets manage to wander by during a photo shoot.
      Debbie :)

      Delete
  9. Love it you did a wonderful Job!!!! Thank you so much for linking up to Share it One More Time. I love your cats name. I have two dogs that always want to get in the pictures as well. Hope to see you at this Fridays Party!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy! I don't know if I'll make it in time!! Been hectic for me the last couple days, and my husband is away so I have to take more time for the animals. :)

      Delete
  10. I think you did pretty darn good for your first try. It really did make the milk can look much older. I have a link party, Share Your Cup Thursday. Would love for you to share.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jann! I'll try to get over, not sure if I made it in time. Thanks for the invite! :)

      Delete
  11. This is so cool! Love how yours turned out!!! It looks nice in it's final resting place too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your two projects turned out really nicely. Those new cover-almost-anything spray paints are great. I was using some myself today to give a watering can an update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Paint seems to be the 'cure-all'. :)

      Delete
  13. You are right, who cares if it's a new milk can since you were redoing it anyway. What a great look. It's so much better with your treatment. You get kudos for trying a new skill too! Thanks so much for stopping over at Quirky Vistas and leaving me a comment. I do appreciate it! I'm your new follower. Hope you'll come back by and follow as well if you like.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's beautiful! I had one back in the 80s, sold it at a garage sale...now I wish I hadn't! ...I've just discovered your lovely blog, and am now following!
    So nice to meet you!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just wanted to hop back and say thanks for linking up to Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your new milk can and watering can. I think they were much improved with "age." My hat's off to you for mixing your own rust colored paint. It looks so... so rusty! I like the way the cans complement each other sitting there next to your stairs and am now thinking my milk can needs a watering can too. Thanks for the shout out, Debbie. I'm so happy my can inspired yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I truly enjoy reading your comments and will reply as soon as I return. I had to enable word verification because of the amount of spam I receive. This site is not active any more, so sorry for the inconvenience.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...