Monday, August 20, 2012

Home-made Bird Bath

I built a homemade bird bath using a leaf from my Sum & Substance hosta plant.
Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf

I certainly don't need another bird bath. We have 2 ponds with waterfalls the birds love to play in, an old plastic bird bath and a terra cotta one that is at ground level for the chickens when they are free-ranging. But I saw this done and really, really had to have it!

It was very simple to do, sort of winged it as I went along. My husband wasn't home so I literally mixed the cement myself, believe it or not! So proud of me! 

I made a mound of soil in a shady spot of the yard. (Next time, I'll dig a hole and do it in reverse). I had cut off a leaf from my Sum & Substance Hosta. It has lovely markings that will give the bath a pretty texture.


Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
 Position Sum & Substance Hosta leaf on mound of dirt

Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
 Slather on a layer of cement

Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
 Chicken wire


Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
Put wire on cement for added support

Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
 Add a second layer

Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
 Let dry for at least 2 days

Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
 The reveal...now this is why next time I'll dig the hole. The cement 'fell' and  made a ring around the leaf creating this messy looking edge. Maybe I used too much cement, there was still loads on the body.

Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
Notice a bit of the hosta I couldn't remove...it will wear off in time.

Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
 Used an old tree stump as the holder

Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
All in all, I'm very happy with my hosta bird bath. I've gotten used to the edge and it actually gives the birds somewhere to perch. 

Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
 Filled with water
Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
 The ladies inspecting the new water feature...that they can't reach. You can see their water behind them.

Bird-garden-with-Homemade-bird-bath
 My bird garden

Homemade-bird-bath-from-hosta-leaf
You can see I like using old stumps. I have a bird house screwed into that tall one in the back. 

Hope you like my new bird bath! Have you ever made one?


My bird bath was featured: 

           
          


                    

           
               



46 comments:

  1. I love this! How unique and it's better that is doesn't look perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out so beautifully! I like the edge it made around it! What a neat idea! I have an affinity to leaves anyway, and can never resist anything with a leaf design! It just lent itself to being the perfect size and shape for a birdbath! Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! Yes, the leaf just adds that extra something. :)

      Delete
  3. That was very creative and the effect was wonderfully rustic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will have to try this one! Our chickens love inspecting every new thing in our yard, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Show me when you're done! Yes, chickens are so much fun, aren't they? :)

      Delete
  5. I like your bird bath and the edge looks like that is how it is suppose to be. You should not have told us differently! Your yard looks like a very restful place! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a bird bath (made form an old stepladder!) but now I want yours and your chickens and your tree stump bird houses ...
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen projects like this done with cement and have always wanted to give it a go. Your project turned out so nicely that it has propelled me on step closer to finally taking the plunge. I really like that you chose a hosta leaf. The veining on the leaf is really nice when immortalized in concrete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should Jennifer! And share when you complete it. Putting a leaf or large flower (maybe Hibiscus?) does add to the look. :)

      Delete
  8. Debbie,

    I love your bird bath! What a great idea! I would have never thought of this. That is what makes blog land so wonderful!

    Thanks for inspiring me today!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!! That is so creative...it turned out great, Debbie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This creation is simply fabulous...it turned out AMAZING!!!! LOVE IT and I do believe I am going to give it a try! Thanks for visiting : ) I am not your newest follower! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm Debi from Adorned From Above. You left me a comment, so I stopped by. I love your birdbath. It is so cute. Your blog is great. I will look around some more. I am following you now on GFC. Thanks for visiting me.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi! Thanks for visiting, and following. I'm following you now too
      Debbie :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Debbie - love these hosta leaves turned bird baths. Have always wanted to make one, but haven't done it yet. Just checked out Walters and see that it is close to us - we're in Tillsonburg. Love finding neighbouring blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how neat! My husband used to work in Tillsonburg, only about a 40 minute drive from home...it's a lovely town. We still have a couple friends there!
      I'm now following you and have added you to my list of Canadian Bloggers!
      Debbie :)

      Delete
  13. Debbie, That is just beautiful! That leaf was a monster! My landscape just might have to get one of these great birdbaths! Life to the full, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! And when you make yours, I really want to see it!
      Debbie :)

      Delete
  14. How creative!! Love the birdbath. Wish I had the patience. Best, Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! And you should try! You only need patience while you wait for it to set before you can display it in your gardens.
      Debbie :)

      Delete
  15. Hi, I love the way it turned out. Even the imperfections...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cool is THAT!~ Really neat. Thanks so much for sharing and joining in on the newbie party. I see you bopping around and that just makes me smile to see an ambitious newbie!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie! I appreciate your sweet comment.
      Debbie :)

      Delete
  17. This is just what I need for my tree trunk piece. Right now, I have a big clay saucer sitting on it. Have everything I need except the leaf. I love the way yours turned out with the excess cement around the edges. Great job. Thanks for sharing.
    Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy smokes....THIS IS AWESOME!!! I've been looking everything for a birdbath....and I've found nothing. Honestly, I love this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE this! Please link it up at my Wow Us Wednesday that is open until Fri night. Would love to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was so pretty. Love it in the tree too. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cool idea! I've been looking for a unique bird bath that will give the birdies a place to sit by the water (sounds like they're on a coastal retreat) and which is shallow enough. This could totally work in our garden too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really a neat look. I couldn't mix concrete if my very life depended on it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you linked up! I love the chickens :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so beautiful! I tried doing this in the beginning of the summer. What a disaster. With your tips and photos, I am going to give it another whirl. The kids will be so happy. I really would love one in my yard. Thank you for linking up to the blog hop this week. It is a pleasure to have you!~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, I'm Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com) visiting from Tilly’s Nest.

    What a clever idea, I love it! And I love the pictures of all your "girls".

    Anyway, it’s nice to "meet" you. I hope you can pop over to my blog and say hi sometime if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just found your blog and love it! We raise chickens also. This is such a creative idea. I would love for you to come share at my weekly Blog Fest. Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/10/farm-girl-blog-fest-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Im guessing you could use an artificial big leaf off an old plant instead of discarding it when it is shabby looking 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why you couldn't, as long as it was still strong enough and doesn't fall apart when you add the cement.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting! I truly enjoy reading your comments and will reply as soon as I return. I had to enable word verification because of the amount of spam I receive. This site is not active any more, so sorry for the inconvenience.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...